Notifications
Clear all

Embarrassing  

Sky
 Sky
(@sky)
Junior Registered
Topic starter  

Just don’t understand the forfeit against ASU. High school coaches are criticized for not sending out a kid to wrestle. It’s hard to believe that the best team in the country had to forfeit a weight class. I like Cael and he is a class act but no matter how you look at this, it’s a bad look at the coaching staff and the program. 

lakerie
(@lakerie)
Sophomore Registered

That’s a head scratcher all right.  Austin Hoops is the back up and a 2 x state champ from Wyoming so he doesn’t suck. It was talked about Shack not walking in the line up until January so it shouldn’t have been unexpected that he scratch. At very least, Cael and Cody are the most successful coaching tandem the past 10 years so who are we to question their wisdom. 

ReplyQuote

roaminglion
(@roaminglion)
Heisman Winner Registered

Posted by: @sky

Just don’t understand the forfeit against ASU. High school coaches are criticized for not sending out a kid to wrestle. It’s hard to believe that the best team in the country had to forfeit a weight class. I like Cael and he is a class act but no matter how you look at this, it’s a bad look at the coaching staff and the program. 

...and you question me about Franklin? Cael has won 9 national titles!! What's that you say? TRUST

LMAO

ReplyQuote
lakerie
(@lakerie)
Sophomore Registered

@roaminglion

True dat... fact is dual meets really don’t matter, only March tournaments.

ReplyQuote

Sky
 Sky
(@sky)
Junior Registered
Topic starter  
Posted by: @lakerie

@roaminglion

Every time a wrestler steps on the mat, it counts. If dual meets don’t matter then why are PSU fans still talking about the iconic upset of Ohio State in 2018?  If duals are insignificant, then why did every Penn State wrestling fan jump up and scream last night when Cassar took down the ASU heavyweight to his back in the first period?

A group of college coaches have been working to bring back the National Duals because most coaches want that. 

Cael has done a great job but regardless, forfeiting last night was just a bad look. 

🤼‍♂️

ReplyQuote
roaminglion
(@roaminglion)

Posted by: @lakerie

@roaminglion

Every time a wrestler steps on the mat, it counts. If dual meets don’t matter then why are PSU fans still talking about the iconic upset of Ohio State in 2018?  If duals are insignificant, then why did every Penn State wrestling fan jump up and scream last night when Cassar took down the ASU heavyweight to his back in the first period?

A group of college coaches have been working to bring back the National Duals because most coaches want that. 

Cael has done a great job but regardless, forfeiting last night was just a bad look. 

🤼‍♂️

Because I said non conference dual meets, last I checked Ohio State is in our conference.

As for the fans in attendance... I mean, they're there at the meet of course they're going to cheer.

In the grand scheme of things out of conference dual meets do not matter, there isn't a championship for them, and no one will care during conference dual meet / championships.

This post was modified 1 year ago by roaminglion

ReplyQuote

lakerie
(@lakerie)
Sophomore Registered

Duals don’t mean what they use to mean and are expensive relative to a schools athletic budget.  Only conference tournaments and the national tournament matter. Quad duals and early tournaments like the Southern Scuffle are increasingly popular because they provide more matches in a confined time space. Essentially it’s a lower cost per match. What duals are good for, especially early duals,  is experimentation. Is a freshman ready? Do I pull his redshirt or will I need him for next year’s lineup? Two guys are equally matched in the room, who will perform better under the lights? Is a previously injured wrestler ready? What I’m saying is they are important, conference duals more so than OOC but Cael and Cody have their eye on March rather than winning the regular season dual championship. They aren’t concerned about the loss, only what they learned.  I haven’t heard any coach that would like to see the return of national duals, they don’t mean shirt vs. nationals.

ReplyQuote
Lionbacker99
(@lionbacker99)
Sophomore Registered

Rasheed is still recovering from ACL surgery. His back up, Edsall, supposedly failed a prematch skin check. Teams probably don’t take a 3 deep roster across country for a wrestling dual meet due to a much smaller budget. Cael doesn’t duck anyone. Questioning Cael is ridiculous. 

OMPA1 liked
ReplyQuote

Underlion
(@underlion)
Freshman Registered

Dumb question, what is a pre match skin check?

What would it have hurt Edsall to get pinned, 6 points either way.  Maybe he gets Tech Falled and only gives up 5.  Not like it is going to destroy his psyche to get pinned by one of the best wrestlers in the country.

ReplyQuote
Sky
 Sky
(@sky)
Junior Registered
Topic starter  

Qualified medical person (trainer, PA, doctor, nurse) checks wrestlers for contagious skin infections like, ringworm, herpes, impetigo, etc. 

ReplyQuote

Sky
 Sky
(@sky)
Junior Registered
Topic starter  
Posted by: @lionbacker99

Rasheed is still recovering from ACL surgery. His back up, Edsall, supposedly failed a prematch skin check. Teams probably don’t take a 3 deep roster across country for a wrestling dual meet due to a much smaller budget. Cael doesn’t duck anyone. Questioning Cael is ridiculous. 

Really, “Questioning Cael is ridiculous.”  This guy has a great track record as a coach and competitor but he is not a wrestling god. There definitely is a cult of Cael worshippers within the PSU community that adore him. But we are fans and fans enjoy QUESTIONING things especially coaches. Gee whiz, check out the comments on this forum about Franklin. I think the the PSU grapplers will certainly be in contention to win another NCAA title in Minnesota this March. Regardless, it was embarrassing that Penn State forfeited a weight class against ASU which clearly ended the win streak. 

ReplyQuote
Sky
 Sky
(@sky)
Junior Registered
Topic starter  

@lakerie

Last summer at the NWCA convention in Daytona, there was a lot of talk about bringing back the National Duals as a way of increasing interest in college wrestling. Many of the coaches in attendance were supportive of the proposal. Wrestling is unique because of the individual tournaments culminating in the NCAA Championships. In reality tournament scoring is not a very effective way to assess team quality. Two years ago PSU was helped when Conel from Kent State beat the Ohio State guy twice. Back in eighties, Bloomsburg had the Bonomo twins and 1 other guy and scored enough points to finish in the top ten but in reality there were at least 20 teams that were better that finished lower. If you want to see which team is better, Iowa or Penn State, have them go head to head in a dual meet. College wrestling is thriving in State College, Ames, and New Brunswick, and a few other places. But mostly these dedicated athletes compete in front of a handful of fans. If change doesn’t come, the NCAA tournament will evolve into a second B1G Ten tournament. 

Big dual meet tonight, Iowa & Wisconsin. Believe me, Brands wants the win and so does Bono. Both these  coaches believe dual meets are important for their programs. 

ReplyQuote

Lionbacker99
(@lionbacker99)
Sophomore Registered

Posted by: @lionbacker99

Really, “Questioning Cael is ridiculous.”  This guy has a great track record as a coach and competitor but he is not a wrestling god. There definitely is a cult of Cael worshippers within the PSU community that adore him. But we are fans and fans enjoy QUESTIONING things especially coaches. Gee whiz, check out the comments on this forum about Franklin. I think the the PSU grapplers will certainly be in contention to win another NCAA title in Minnesota this March. Regardless, it was embarrassing that Penn State forfeited a weight class against ASU which clearly ended the win streak. 

When Cael forfeits at Nationals, I’ll be be slightly embarrassed. Until then, under the circumstances I gave above, I’m not too concerned how it looks at a non-televised, November dual meet in Arizona. Some, people just look for reasons to complain, I guess? 

GET OFF MY LAWN!!

ReplyQuote
Southern psu fan
(@southern-psu-fan)

@roaminglion

You ain’t lying Roam lol. I’m sure Cael had his reasons and after 9 NC’s that was won on the mat I’ll trust him lol 

ReplyQuote

ThePAkid
(@thepakid)
Freshman Registered

Embarrassing for who??  YOU??  The man has won 9 NC's and you're saying sitting a guy in November is a bad look on him and the program??  You seriously have no clue.  Spend a day in the room with him and come back to see me afterwards.  Here's a news flash for ya......NC's aren't won in November.

ReplyQuote
lakerie
(@lakerie)
Sophomore Registered

Posted by: @thepakid

Embarrassing for who??  YOU??  The man has won 9 NC's and you're saying sitting a guy in November is a bad look on him and the program??  You seriously have no clue.  Spend a day in the room with him and come back to see me afterwards.  Here's a news flash for ya......NC's aren't won in November.

In Sky’s defense, no one knew at the time why the weight was forfeited because they brought Edsell to Arizona in anticipation of Shak not being ready.  Now we know that he didn’t pass the skin check test and wasn’t allowed to wrestle. Embarrassing might have been the wrong choice of words but at the time it was puzzling. 

OMPA1 liked
ReplyQuote

Sky
 Sky
(@sky)
Junior Registered
Topic starter  

D1 wrestling is in trouble. Even at PSU, the program is a revenue loser but at least there are fans. Outside of the B1G, interest continues to wane. As a former wrestling coach, it was always embarrassing to forfeit a weight class. In 20 years I only had to do it once. I’m still disappointed my heavyweight was sick that day. 

It is sad to see even that in the wrestling power state of Pennsylvania the growing number of forfeits. It is a concern of all wrestling advocates. 

I stand by my post. For a team that has won 9 championships, has the largest fan base in the country, and receives big money in donations from alumni, it was embarrassing to forfeit a weight. 

ReplyQuote
roaminglion
(@roaminglion)

D1 wrestling is in trouble. Even at PSU, the program is a revenue loser but at least there are fans. Outside of the B1G, interest continues to wane. As a former wrestling coach, it was always embarrassing to forfeit a weight class. In 20 years I only had to do it once. I’m still disappointed my heavyweight was sick that day. 

It is sad to see even that in the wrestling power state of Pennsylvania the growing number of forfeits. It is a concern of all wrestling advocates. 

I stand by my post. For a team that has won 9 championships, has the largest fan base in the country, and receives big money in donations from alumni, it was embarrassing to forfeit a weight. 

I love how you question and call something embarrassing regarding Cael... A 4 time NCAA champion, Gold medal winner, and 9 time NCAA National Championship coach...

...while also telling people who question Franklin to "Trust". So sure, go ahead and stand by your post stating that the possibly greatest athlete and coach in NCAA wrestling history should be embarrassed. What a hypocrite. LMFAO.

ReplyQuote

Sky
 Sky
(@sky)
Junior Registered
Topic starter  
Posted by: @roaminglion

I love how you question and call something embarrassing regarding Cael... A 4 time NCAA champion, Gold medal winner, and 9 time NCAA National Championship coach...

...while also telling people who question Franklin to "Trust". So sure, go ahead and stand by your post stating that the possibly greatest athlete and coach in NCAA wrestling history should be embarrassed. What a hypocrite. LMFAO.

You obviously don’t know wrestling. Minnesota has recently come under fire for underachieving. One of the criticisms was  the Golden Gophers forfeiting weight classes. PSU developing such a strong program, forfeiting a weight class vs ASU is inexplicable. Sanderson has more financial resources than any other college wrestling program. 

Clearly the coaching staff was unprepared. On road trips extra guys travel with the team. If a guy went out and didn’t get pinned, PSU wins!

Roam, you are definitely an unusual fellow. Quick to hide behind the anonymity that the Internet provides and throws insults at those who disagree with you. 

For sure, you never wrestled. It takes a confident guy to go on the mat and take full responsibility for the result. 

For the record, Cael is embarrassed about the forfeit. He knows it was a screw up and unlike many in our society has taken responsibility. Good for him. 

I think you are the hypocrite roam. Keep posting, I always enjoy a good laugh. 

ReplyQuote
roaminglion
(@roaminglion)

Posted by: @roaminglion

You obviously don’t know wrestling. Minnesota has recently come under fire for underachieving. One of the criticisms was  the Golden Gophers forfeiting weight classes. PSU developing such a strong program, forfeiting a weight class vs ASU is inexplicable. Sanderson has more financial resources than any other college wrestling program. 

Clearly the coaching staff was unprepared. On road trips extra guys travel with the team. If a guy went out and didn’t get pinned, PSU wins!

Roam, you are definitely an unusual fellow. Quick to hide behind the anonymity that the Internet provides and throws insults at those who disagree with you. 

For sure, you never wrestled. It takes a confident guy to go on the mat and take full responsibility for the result. 

For the record, Cael is embarrassed about the forfeit. He knows it was a screw up and unlike many in our society has taken responsibility. Good for him. 

I think you are the hypocrite roam. Keep posting, I always enjoy a good laugh. 

My lord bud, stop obsessing over me and go have a drink. Reaching back to posts almost 4 months old now? Damn dude, it's kinda pathetic that you're looking through posts trying to find ways to insult me. Just let it go and move on.

This post was modified 10 months ago by roaminglion

ReplyQuote

Share: