Sec
Notifications
Clear all

6th Year

OMPA1
(@ompa1)
Freshman Registered
Topic starter  

I'm a PSU fan, but I don't agree with PSU or the NCAA giving guys a 6th year of eligibility for injuries.  Having 5 years to wrestle 4 is enough for anyone.  Injuries happen, move on with your life.  With such few scholarship, 9.5 I think, it takes opportunity away from other younger guys.  Also, what is the academic load in that 6th year?  A person could take the minimum credits on easy courses to really get an unfair advantage since they would already have a degree by then. Then you also have situations where a 24 year old man vs 18 year old kid compete against each other.  It just seems wrong all around to me.

Southern psu fan
(@southern-psu-fan)
Heisman Winner Registered

As long as everybody is following the same rules I ain’t got a problem with it. That stuff is way over my head anyway.

ReplyQuote

roaminglion
(@roaminglion)

Posted by: @ompa1

I'm a PSU fan, but I don't agree with PSU or the NCAA giving guys a 6th year of eligibility for injuries.  Having 5 years to wrestle 4 is enough for anyone.  Injuries happen, move on with your life.  With such few scholarship, 9.5 I think, it takes opportunity away from other younger guys.  Also, what is the academic load in that 6th year?  A person could take the minimum credits on easy courses to really get an unfair advantage since they would already have a degree by then. Then you also have situations where a 24 year old man vs 18 year old kid compete against each other.  It just seems wrong all around to me.

They'd be in graduate school, so they have to take graduate level courses to stay eligible. As long as the rule is fairly applied I have no issues with it.

ReplyQuote
STEAKY
(@steaky)
Freshman Registered

@roaminglion

2 years extended eligibility.  He didn't wrestle for 2 years. He already graduated.  Besides he only made a commitment for this year. You have a lot of red shirts in college sports. Red shirts =5 years.

ReplyQuote

lakerie
(@lakerie)
Sophomore Registered

It was once explained to me the reason for 9.9 schollies was to thwart wealthy schools with large budgets from padding their rosters in what is a low to negative revenue generating sport. A Lock Haven can compete in scbolarships exactly the same way Penn state can. Years ago schools like the Iowa‘s, Oklahoma‘s, Pitt, Michigan et all would recruit everybody for no other reason than to keep these guys from their competitors. This doesn’t exactly respond to your concern but does affect it. For example, if Penn State feels they can win another NC in a tight year with a 6th year kid, that’s exactly what they will do. It sucks it takes schollie money from another kid but that’s why there are only 9.9 of them for every school. The ancillary effect on winning though does attract the HS elites and why winning NC’s is everything. Iowa, Oklahoma State, Ohio State and of course Penn State know this and that’s why there are so few school dynasties in this sport.

WESTIE1 liked
ReplyQuote
roaminglion
(@roaminglion)

Posted by: @steaky

@roaminglion

2 years extended eligibility.  He didn't wrestle for 2 years. He already graduated.  Besides he only made a commitment for this year. You have a lot of red shirts in college sports. Red shirts =5 years.

I know, I wasn't the one saying 6 years are bad

ReplyQuote

roaminglion
(@roaminglion)

Posted by: @lakerie

It was once explained to me the reason for 9.9 schollies was to thwart wealthy schools with large budgets from padding their rosters in what is a low to negative revenue generating sport. A Lock Haven can compete in scbolarships exactly the same way Penn state can. Years ago schools like the Iowa‘s, Oklahoma‘s, Pitt, Michigan et all would recruit everybody for no other reason than to keep these guys from their competitors. This doesn’t exactly respond to your concern but does affect it. For example, if Penn State feels they can win another NC in a tight year with a 6th year kid, that’s exactly what they will do. It sucks it takes schollie money from another kid but that’s why there are only 9.9 of them for every school. The ancillary effect on winning though does attract the HS elites and why winning NC’s is everything. Iowa, Oklahoma State, Ohio State and of course Penn State know this and that’s why there are so few school dynasties in this sport.

Title IX too

ReplyQuote
Share: