Sec
Notifications
Clear all

Transfer portal

Page 2 / 3

Bob Kozak
(@rip)
Junior Registered

I agree with what you're saying - 100%, Southern.  To stay competitive, you gotta change with the times.  I guess the problem I see is the way the times are changing.  I just don't think it bodes well for the future of college football.  Anyway, that's just my opinion.  I still think Freshman should be ineligible, LOL.

ReplyQuote
roaminglion
(@roaminglion)
Heisman Winner Registered

Posted by: @forum-titan
Posted by: @roaminglion
Posted by: @forum-titan

As a head coach I wouldn't rely on the transfer portal to build a college football team with hopes of making the playoffs. 

No one is building a team with it, but adding a piece here and there can be a big difference.

LSU won a National title with a portal transfer, and he won a Heisman. Seemed to work for them.

Good for them.  It favored one team. Try doing that as a perennial, year in and year out.  The portal can be disastrous for one team and favorable for another. According to penn live Minnesota was ranked most favorable for transfers.  The transfer portal is a generous way for coaches to say hit the Road.  Don't play games with the minds of young athletes. JMO.  If you don't like what you see on the field,  don't recruit them just to have the scholarships filled up. 

Well let's try this, let's get him, let's bench him, let's. Yes. It's superman. BS

Again, who is doing this year in and year out on a large scale? You're arguing something that isn't happening.

Somehow in your mind giving kids an option to transfer is bad for them? LMAO

ReplyQuote

BOBs Dimpled Chin
(@bobs-dimpled-chin)
Sophomore Registered

Posted by: @southern-psu-fan

@rip. Lol, Mr Bob I’m pretty dang good at going with the flow it keeps me happy. I’ve been on my job for 33 years and when I started working at my job there was an old dude here that had 30 years in and I asked that dude how do you stay on a job that long and he said if you can’t teach an old dog new tricks they’ll get new dogs 🐕 so I listened to him because this old dude was living the good life back then. I’m living the good life now 😁 but I am struggling to buy an electric car I just don’t like ‘em lol. I believe if you don’t change with the times you’ll get left behind 

You are wise, wise old man Southern.  

ReplyQuote
Southern psu fan
(@southern-psu-fan)
Topic starter  

The article on ESPN said that  Oregon QB is a graduate transfer but has 3 years left to play I’m kind of confused does that mean the kid has graduated and can transfer and play immediately? The article on ESPN doesn’t say if he’s picked a team yet but I do hope he gives Penn State a look. Looking at our schedule we really get a gift because Wisconsin lost their QB and Auburn comes to Penn State with a new head coach so there’s a great chance we could be undefeated when we play Ohio St and they will also have a new QB. I believe Wisconsin and auburn are catching us at the wrong time and we beat ‘em up pretty good. If anybody hears any news on the Oregon QB please let us know it’s been a while since we’ve had any good news on a QB recruit this just might be the break we’re looking for. I have a little confidence because Lee and Holmes will have a year under ‘em and both should be work horses and we can beat most teams with a great Running game we just need good QB play to beat Ohio State.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by Southern psu fan

ReplyQuote

Been There II
(@been-there-ii)
Junior Registered

@southern-psu-fan Yes, from what I understand he's a grad transfer, so he can play right away. 

ReplyQuote
lakerie
(@lakerie)
Sophomore Registered

Posted by: @been-there-ii

@southern-psu-fan Yes, from what I understand he's a grad transfer, so he can play right away. 

Just a joke what kind of school is U of Oregon to be a grad transfer and still have 3 years of eligibility. I'm sure I'm missing something.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by lakerie

ReplyQuote

Southern psu fan
(@southern-psu-fan)
Topic starter  

@lakerie. That’s exactly what I’m wondering Lake. If this kid can transfer and play immediately and have 3 years left to play man that would be great for us assuming he comes to penn st

ReplyQuote
PSU61
(@psu61)
Freshman Registered

Posted by: @rip

Free Agency, baby!  NFL lite.  Up next, pay for play!

Gonna happen as it is in the cards for multiple reasons; transfer portal sets it up and may be a way of circumventing some of the current recruiting rules; only time before lawsuites get real in regards to players being held up but no accountability placed on coaches who recruit them but leave the same year or so; and the bottom line is that the illusion of the sanctimonious student athlete is dead in Div I Power 5 football. JMOP.

lakerie and Bob Kozak liked
ReplyQuote

roaminglion
(@roaminglion)

This is why he has 3 years left:

Year 1: Redshirt
Year 2: Didn't play, used 1 year of eligibility
Year 3: COVID, redshirt year for everyone

Three years left after graduating in 3 years. Some players have done the same, but only have 2 years left... COVID year makes his 3.

ReplyQuote
lakerie
(@lakerie)
Sophomore Registered

The way this guy is trending, he is more likely to draw his social security before declaring the NFL.

ReplyQuote

Bob Kozak
(@rip)
Junior Registered

Boy, the Bear would have a field day with today's eligibility rules!

ReplyQuote
roaminglion
(@roaminglion)

Posted by: @rip

Boy, the Bear would have a field day with today's eligibility rules!

Bear Bryant was actually quite progressive for his time. Many people found out years later that Bryant had been pushing to integrate the Alabama team for years, but there was this guy named George Wallace who happened to be the Governor of Alabama at the time. He fought tooth and nail to keep it from happening, until Bryant actually scheduled a game against USC in 1970... to LOSE.

No joke, people actually think that although he never admitted it... everyone knew Bryant felt they had little chance in beating USC that year. However, Bryant secretly was tired of Wallace's BS and scheduled the game anyway... AT LEGION FIELD. USC was the first fully integrated team to ever play in the state of Alabama, and basically whopped the Tide good. 42-21.

After that game, George Wallace didn't have a leg to stand on when it came to integrating the team. People saw their beloved Tide get curb stomped and realized they had to change to compete. Exactly what Bryant wanted... The next year 2 black players transferred in from JUCOs and 1 of them went on to be captain of the team and a All-American. That man was named John Mitchell, who is now the Assistant Head Coach of the Steelers.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 2 times by roaminglion

ReplyQuote

Bob Kozak
(@rip)
Junior Registered

Progressive in many ways.  Stumbled across the following letter that he provided to incoming recruits:

Dear Chris:

You will be expected to report for football practice August 17. We will expect you to arrive in the afternoon and our first meal will be served that evening at the dorm.

On the 18th, you will take your physical, including the mile run, get your room and locker assignments and participate in Photographer’s Day in the afternoon. Our first practice will be on the morning of the 19th.

I am expecting you to report in top physical condition, clean-cut, smiling, bright-eyed, bushy-tailed and raring to go. Also, I am expecting you to be prepared to run, hit, pitch, kick, catch, sweat, smell and enjoy it. There are no easy ways but there are ways to enjoy the journey and we must find them.

I am also expecting you to work hard, eat well, sleep well, play well, display a winning attitude at all times, be a leader and help me sell the squad on what it takes to win and enjoy the journey.

I hope you will share your problems with me whether it be at home, at the dorm, in your school work, with teammates, with coaches, with training regulations, self-discipline or even flying a kite. If you do that, I will try to help you and, if I can’t, I’ll recommend you get a job, join the Army, or join the Foreign Legion, but, in any event, to reside in another state.

Nothing’s too good for winners. I want to love you, pat you, pet you, brag on you and see you hoot, run and shout and laugh, pray, hug, kiss, and win with humility.

If we lose, I want all of us to be unhappy, no one to have any fun, and expect only what is reserved for losers but take it with dignity while planning to come back.

Please remember us to your family and make your personal plans on how you are going to reach your goal – the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.

Sincerely, Paul Bryant

If you gave a letter like that to a kid today he'd head for the portal,LOL! 

lakerie liked
ReplyQuote
Navylion
(@navylion)
Sophomore Registered

@rip if you gave a kid a letter like that today as a coach you would be cancelled!

ReplyQuote

roaminglion
(@roaminglion)

@rip

Love that letter, but it was certainly a different time. I don't think Bryant would see the irony of accepting a transfer from JUCO with open arms, while also thinking if a kid wanted to transfer away from his school they weren't a winner and should join the Army. LMAO

However, that said and as previously stated it was a different time. 😀 😀 😀 

ReplyQuote
Bob Kozak
(@rip)
Junior Registered

@roaminglion

Yep. it sure was a different time.  The Bear also said, "Coach 'em hard....hug 'em later! 

ReplyQuote

PSU61
(@psu61)
Freshman Registered

As my father once said; " the weak will always suck from the strong and the strong will become weak; however, there will always be strength but what strength was yesterday is a far cry from what strength is today."

ReplyQuote
frodoPSU
(@frodopsu)
Freshman Registered

We need to pick up a QB from the portal.  All we have right now is Clifford.  The backups have no experience.  Not feeling optimistic.

ReplyQuote

Southern psu fan
(@southern-psu-fan)
Topic starter  

@frodopsu. Hopefully the Oregon QB gives us a look he’d be ready to go.

ReplyQuote
roaminglion
(@roaminglion)

Posted by: @southern-psu-fan

@frodopsu. Hopefully the Oregon QB gives us a look he’d be ready to go.

Outside of the Pac-12, the only schools I've seen mentioned as a potential landing spot for the Oregon QB have been Penn State and Auburn.

With Penn State being everyone's pick as the best fit for him. Oddly enough Joe Moorhead was his OC this year at Oregon. 

ReplyQuote

Been There II
(@been-there-ii)
Junior Registered

@roaminglion lol You're slowly swaying me to thinking he's not such a bad idea. Just wonder is he has any interest in PSU. Where's the Prognosticator when ya need him for the inside scoop? 

ReplyQuote
Southern psu fan
(@southern-psu-fan)
Topic starter  

@been-there-ii. Man you ain’t lying lol. Were you is remoh? Lol

navylion, that chicken I smoked today was out of sight the Teriyaki was great I could just imagine how good it would’ve been if I used the same sauce as you but I’ve got some on the way I’ll get it next time. I even grill the sweet potatoes and them babies was good too 

ReplyQuote

Southern psu fan
(@southern-psu-fan)
Topic starter  

Ty Gibbs the grandson of joe Gibbs got him a win in the XFINITY series I’m happy for coach Joe Gibbs. Kid is only 18

ReplyQuote
roaminglion
(@roaminglion)

Posted by: @been-there-ii

@roaminglion lol You're slowly swaying me to thinking he's not such a bad idea. Just wonder is he has any interest in PSU. Where's the Prognosticator when ya need him for the inside scoop? 

I am guessing he does have interest, because of Yurcich. Any good QB would love to be in his offense, just take a look at our recruiting since the hire and you see a several highly touted QBs with interest.

ReplyQuote

Been There II
(@been-there-ii)
Junior Registered

@roaminglion And wide receivers.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: