Notifications
Clear all

Transfer portal

Page 1 / 3

Southern psu fan
(@southern-psu-fan)
Heisman Winner Registered
Topic starter  

Just looking over the transfer portal we’re losing 5 and picking up 4 players. IMO we’re picking up 4 guys that will help win some games next year and from what I read on pennlive the ones we’re losing wasn’t going to get much playing time except for Antonio Shelton so the transfer portal is being good to us this year. We lost QB Bowen’s today but he wasn’t going to see the field anyway so let’s hope the kid finds a place where he can play. So far with the portal and coaching change the off season is looking good for Penn State Football.

Bucket of Pucks
(@bucket-of-pucks)
Redshirt Freshman Registered

Picked Up Another QB today. If they dont want to be here...So long, Its been fun! Moving on!

ReplyQuote

Southern psu fan
(@southern-psu-fan)
Topic starter  

Just read on victorybellsringing that Oregon QB is entering the portal and they are wondering if Penn State would be a good fit. He was a 4* recruit and he has 3 years left to play. Roam, you heard anything out there on this dude? He had some good offers coming out of high school

ReplyQuote
Been There II
(@been-there-ii)
Junior Registered

I dunno SPF, 13 TDs vs 6 Int. Don't know that there's a lot of difference when it comes to giving the ball away. And like the article suggested, you'd(PSU) be telling the young guns "We don't think you have what it takes, portal now!"

ReplyQuote

roaminglion
(@roaminglion)

Posted by: @been-there-ii

I dunno SPF, 13 TDs vs 6 Int. Don't know that there's a lot of difference when it comes to giving the ball away. And like the article suggested, you'd(PSU) be telling the young guns "We don't think you have what it takes, portal now!"

It was his first year as a starter, and in a COVID year so he didn't really get the reps or experience in practice like other QBs who were young with no starts.

Skinny on him is he was absolutely more talented than his backup, but his backup also had a great deal of experience as he was a transfer from BC. When it came down to it, he was a young kid thrown into a difficult situation and had some turnover issues. Not really terrible, but a lot of room to grow.

ReplyQuote
Been There II
(@been-there-ii)
Junior Registered

@roaminglion Thanks, but I'll stick with what we got. 

lakerie liked
ReplyQuote

Southern psu fan
(@southern-psu-fan)
Topic starter  

@been-there-ii. That’s exactly what I love to do BT but I don’t have a whole lot of confidence in Clifford and if Roberson is only good enough to come on the field to knee the ball down I don’t have a whole lot of confidence in him either. I love being optimistic but deep down I believe we’ve missed bad on QB’s and we definitely have QB problems and when I say problems I mean all our QB’s are below average behind Clifford and Clifford is average at best. Y’all seen when Rocco took the game out of Clifford hands we started winning. Clifford tries his best and he gives it a 100% but he’s just not that good if he’s needed to win the game he can manage a game if he’s got a stud RB. We can’t beat Ohio St with a game managing QB we need a QB that can put the game on his back and win and I don’t see that in Clifford. I hope the kid from Oregon gives Penn State a look we need him.

This post was modified 3 weeks ago 2 times by Southern psu fan

Bob Kozak liked
ReplyQuote
Southern psu fan
(@southern-psu-fan)
Topic starter  

MROB, D-Clark and McSorley are the kind of QB’s it takes to beat Ohio State and it’s not easy with these guys and I don’t see it with the QB’s we have now. The kid we recruited in the 21 class might be good enough in time I haven’t seen him play yet. I know these are some of the best QB’s we’ve ever had I’m just saying this is what it takes to beat Ohio st

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by Southern psu fan

Bob Kozak liked
ReplyQuote

Bob Kozak
(@rip)
Junior Registered

We need a Chuck Fusina!

ReplyQuote
roaminglion
(@roaminglion)

@roaminglion Thanks, but I'll stick with what we got. 

I hope the coaches do what's best for the team, not just dismiss a kid in the transfer portal because they want to make Clifford feel better.

The transfer portal exists, might as well use it when you can. Oklahoma had 3 starting quarterbacks in the past 5 or 6 years that were transfers and 3 of them were heisman trophy candidates.

This post was modified 3 weeks ago 2 times by roaminglion

ReplyQuote

Been There II
(@been-there-ii)
Junior Registered

@roaminglion I certainly hope they do too. I just don't know enough about Shough to make an informed decision that he's better/has more potential than what we've already signed, not necessarily Clifford. lol Not that it's my decision to make anyway. 

What's his reason for wanting out of Oregon? 

ReplyQuote
PSU61
(@psu61)
Freshman Registered

Posted by: @rip

We need a Chuck Fusina!

Gotta say Chuck was the man back in the day. 

ReplyQuote

Southern psu fan
(@southern-psu-fan)
Topic starter  

@roaminglion. Roam, wouldn’t you say that the transfer portal is a very important part of recruiting today especially when you can lose players to it.  if you lose 5 players to the portal you need to add 5 to keep the team at 80 to 85 scholarship players, right?

ReplyQuote
roaminglion
(@roaminglion)

@roaminglion I certainly hope they do too. I just don't know enough about Shough to make an informed decision that he's better/has more potential than what we've already signed, not necessarily Clifford. lol Not that it's my decision to make anyway. 

What's his reason for wanting out of Oregon? 

Well he actually graduated, so he's technically a grad transfer. Did it in 3 years but due to last year not counting he still has 3 years left.

I think maybe he saw the writing on the wall? Not sure... but the coaches for whatever reason decided to rotate him in the Pac12 championship and the bowl game. No real rhyme or reason for doing it, and the rotation was just awkward. Fans weren't to happy with it either. So I guess he got his diploma and decided that another team was in his best interests. 

ReplyQuote

Been There II
(@been-there-ii)
Junior Registered

@roaminglion Ah, ok. Guess ya can't really hold it against him if he graduated and wants to play the field so to speak. Have to wonder if he would have an interest playing 3000 miles east....if it ever comes down to that.

Like SPF and probably most of the rest of us, I'm not totally sold on Clifford. But I'd like to see what the other "kids" that PSU recruited have to offer too. Guess it's a bit of a loyalty thing for me.

Bob Kozak liked
ReplyQuote
roaminglion
(@roaminglion)

Posted by: @southern-psu-fan

@roaminglion. Roam, wouldn’t you say that the transfer portal is a very important part of recruiting today especially when you can lose players to it.  if you lose 5 players to the portal you need to add 5 to keep the team at 80 to 85 scholarship players, right?

I'd say it's very important.

ReplyQuote

Forum Titan
(@forum-titan)
Junior Registered

As a head coach I wouldn't rely on the transfer portal to build a college football team with hopes of making the playoffs. 

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by Forum Titan

ReplyQuote
roaminglion
(@roaminglion)

Posted by: @forum-titan

As a head coach I wouldn't rely on the transfer portal to build a college football team with hopes of making the playoffs. 

No one is building a team with it, but adding a piece here and there can be a big difference.

LSU won a National title with a portal transfer, and he won a Heisman. Seemed to work for them.

ReplyQuote

Forum Titan
(@forum-titan)
Junior Registered

Posted by: @roaminglion
Posted by: @forum-titan

No one is building a team with it, but adding a piece here and there can be a big difference.

LSU won a National title with a portal transfer, and he won a Heisman. Seemed to work for them.

Good for them.  It favored one team. Try doing that as a perennial, year in and year out.  The portal can be disastrous for one team and favorable for another. According to penn live Minnesota was ranked most favorable for transfers.  The transfer portal is a generous way for coaches to say hit the Road.  Don't play games with the minds of young athletes. JMO.  If you don't like what you see on the field,  don't recruit them just to have the scholarships filled up. 

Well let's try this, let's get him, let's bench him, let's. Yes. It's superman. BS

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by Forum Titan

ReplyQuote
Southern psu fan
(@southern-psu-fan)
Topic starter  

@forum-titan. Snake you’re looking at this all wrong because if you got players jumping ship into the transfer portal you need players jumping on your ship to take their place and if a coach doesn’t watch it he could be down a lot of players.  Some teams like Alabama get stacked at a few positions and aren’t good enough to play but they are good enough to play somewhere else. I think the kids should be able to transfer one time and not sit and be eligible to play. I just want all teams playing by the same rules regardless of what the rules are so teams like Ohio St don’t get favoritism. I’m beginning to like the portal I think it’s a part of recruiting and teams should use it. Again, you get one time to transfer without sitting a year after that your butts sits I don’t care what happens. Just my opinion though 

ReplyQuote

lakerie
(@lakerie)
Sophomore Registered

in my eyes its the wrong message to send to the future qb's on the roster like Roberson who from his recruiting bio shows great upside and the risk of sending him going to the portal. Its not like he's a one year transfer but has 3 years. Is Shough really a better option than Clifford who knows Penn State and can work with an upgraded Offensive Coordinator?

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by lakerie

ReplyQuote
Bob Kozak
(@rip)
Junior Registered

Free Agency, baby!  NFL lite.  Up next, pay for play!

ReplyQuote

Forum Titan
(@forum-titan)
Junior Registered

Posted by: @rip

Free Agency, baby!  NFL lite.  Up next, pay for play!

That's another way of destroying college football.  Wait for the fireworks.  

Bob Kozak liked
ReplyQuote
Bob Kozak
(@rip)
Junior Registered

@forum-titan

You finally got one right!

ReplyQuote

Southern psu fan
(@southern-psu-fan)
Topic starter  

@rip. Lol, Mr Bob I’m pretty dang good at going with the flow it keeps me happy. I’ve been on my job for 33 years and when I started working at my job there was an old dude here that had 30 years in and I asked that dude how do you stay on a job that long and he said if you can’t teach an old dog new tricks they’ll get new dogs 🐕 so I listened to him because this old dude was living the good life back then. I’m living the good life now 😁 but I am struggling to buy an electric car I just don’t like ‘em lol. I believe if you don’t change with the times you’ll get left behind 

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by Southern psu fan

lakerie and Bob Kozak liked
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: